Changing the World, One Hack at a Time

This week’s lesson went a little differently, instead of reading multiple articles we got to also watch a video! Yayy!

The BBC documentary goes over the origins of hacking, and the hacker group Anonymous.

I’m sure you’ve heard of them, but how well do you really know them?

Anonymous originated from a website known as 4chan. If you go on this website it looks like we did a #tbt to the 90’s. Anyway, back to the main point, Anonymous is famous throughout the world for their hacking. The video describes the history of Anonymous, and also interviews current members.

From the video I found a couple of things shocking. One of them was the Internet’s ability to bring people together. This was shown through their protests, not through their computers, but in real life.

Again, the Internet is a powerful tool.

It showed that the group was not only comprised of immature teenage boys, but of all kinds of people.

Another thing that I found surprising Anonymous’s ability in general. In Egypt they were able to bypass the overpowering regime and provide means of communication for the people. Not only that, they were educating people on how to do it themselves, and even added medical information on tear gas, and how to make tear gas masks in the pdfs they sent out.

So far they don’t sound too bad right?

Well, there are some actions by Anonymous that are praiseworthy, there are also others that make me question the values and ethics of the group.

For example this recent article regarding the possible release of a sex tape demonstrates an invasion of privacy. The film also gives more examples of things the group has done the is questionable, so go take a look at the video.

Now that you’ve watched the video, what’s your take on Anonymous? Tell me in the comments, and I’ll see you next time!